Here is a simple guide on how to apply for Helb loan. The Higher Education Loans Board (Helb) is a body that helps students from low-income families who would wish to further their education at public institutions with loans and bursaries.
The large sum of helb loan a student can be given is Ksh. 50,000 and minimum Ksh. 8,000 for a bursary. These loans fall under two categories
1. Direct Entry Students Loans – They are given to students who are joining public or private universities within the East African community, immediately after finishing their high school studies. This can either be through Kenya Universities & Colleges Central Placement Service (KUCCPS) or as self-sponsored students.
2. Salaried Students Loans – They are given to postgraduate and undergraduate students who are working and can repay their helb loans while studying.
Helb Loan Requirements
- One Passport size photo.
- Admission letter from a University of your choice.
- National Identity Card.
- Active bank account.
- KRA PIN Certificate.
- Payslips for parents who are employed, bank statements for those who are in business and letter of retirement or retrenchment.
- Copies of parents National Identity Cards.
- Copies of guardians National Identity Cards.
- Copies of guarantors National Identity Cards.
- Death certificates and burial permits if parents are deceased.
- KCSE result slip.
- Letter from District Medical Officer showing that you are or are not physically or mentally challenged
How to Apply For Helb Loan
- Go to Helb loan website using this link https://portal.helb.co.ke/auth/register/applicants
- Click on create an account and fill in the details below:
- Full Names
- National ID number
- Email Address
- An activation link will be sent to your email address.
- Click on it in order to active your account and log in to the Helb loan portal.
- Select the Helb loan type you want to apply for.
- Fill in the required details and then click on the Save button.
- Go to homepage website and print two forms.
- Signatures by relevant people where applicable.
- Sign the two forms and attach all the required docs.
- Submit a copy of the loan application form to Helb offices. Either Anniversary Towers or Huduma Center.
NB: Processing of Helb loan normally takes one month.
Helb Loan Contacts
Tel: 0711 052 000